Tuesday, December 3, 2019

December 3, 2019



A mass today, my wife died seven years ago. I wrote this a couple of months after her death:

"I am still reeling but still following initial Mantras that I gave my two sons, ages 25 and 20: Stay Groomed, Keep up Routines and Stay Busy.

I have kept busy cleaning out the apartment, putting her clothes and shoes (an incredible amount) in storage for eventual donation to charity. I realize that the keep busy part is a coping mechanism. This catches me when I am driving to work or at Mass. The times I have to myself and my thoughts. The grief comes and I almost start crying. I shake it off and deal with it. If you are alone, that is when it comes. Luckily, I go to sleep easily, though sometimes I wake up early and stay up."

Here is an article with strategies on how to cope: Grief

No comments: