Saturday, June 28, 2008

June 28, 2008


Byron Walden's NYT Saturday crossword reminded me of the best Onion Rolls ever. Ratner's on the Lower East Side, 138 Delancey Street. They are no longer available because Ratner's closed. I did a drive-by today. The old location is now a Sleepy's mattress store.

The puzzle also clues "not Kosher": TREF. The clue has been used six times before. Ratner's was strict Kosher. It was also a favorite of the gangster Meyer Lansky. I once ordered Bacon and Eggs and the waiter wanted to take away my basket of Onion Rolls.



Then , I remembered this book by Don Delillo. I have tried reading it about five times. I'll give it another go. Delillo also wrote Great Jones Street, which happens to be a small side street in NOHO.




Restaurant Week Summer 2008 is coming July 21 -25 and July 28 - August 1. A great tradition continues and a chance to have a three course lunch for $24.07.




Greenmarket Update:
I spoke with the staff at Sycamore Farms, Middletown. Corn should be there next weekend. Terhune Orchards advises that Peaches should also be available for the Fourth.

No comments: