Saturday, March 13, 2010

March 13, 2010



My College team was on the bubble but no more, looks like NIT Time. My CYO Boys are in the Semis. We face a tough challenge but we can win. My youngest also plays in a CHSAA All-Star game before the Semis. There will be College Coaches watching, mostly D-III. I think he wants to continue playing, depends on where he goes. So far he has made the Colleges he wants to go to and is still waiting on three more. Such a lousy day, and losing an hour. Time to tackle FAFSA.



Duane Reade now carries Cold Beer. They are in the process of being taken over by Walgreens. I am not offended by the Shamrocks but I'm sure some people will be.



Msn.com had a list of great Irish Pubs and listed this
one I had never heard of before: Galway Hooker.It derives from a boat's name. Two locations in Manhattan and it is also the name of an Irish Craft Brewery. Will have to visit but not this week.



HBO has some great stuff. I really enjoyed Band of Brothers and now the companion piece The Pacific is starting this Sunday. Band of Brothers is currently on HBO on Demand.



If I can't catch it Sunday, it is always on HBO on Demand.



The NYT Magazine has an interesting article by Judith Warner titled Concocting a Cure for Kids With Issues about Vision Therapy. My Optometrist talked me into it for my oldest son but my plan would not pick it up. I paid cash. I did not put my second child in it because I did not think the Science validating it was there. It did do the older one some good. The article credits any good to the Hawthorne effect — the fact that many problems, and mental-health problems in particular, tend to get better when they receive intensive positive attention of pretty much any kind. The original Hawthorne effect theory has been criticized,thus the emphasis on mental-health problems.



The Spring Edition of Edible Queens arrives this coming week. Based on the cover, Nixtamal in Corona looks like the featured story.

No comments: