Sunday, November 14, 2010

November 14, 2010



End of my mini-vacation. Bloody Marys, Wine, Brooklyn Cuvée Noire, Lasagna and Football to steel my psyche back into work mode. A recipe:

1 1/2 ounces (1 jigger) vodka
1/2 cup tomato juice - Sacramento
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Worcestershire sauce to taste- Lea and Perrins
Tabasco to taste - McIlhenny
Dollop of Horseradish
1 lime wedge for garnish
Combine the vodka, the tomato juice, the lemon juice, the Horseradish, the Worcestershire sauce, the Tabasco, 1 cup ice cubes, and pepper to taste, shake the mixture well, and strain it into a tall glass filled with ice cubes.



The NYT Book Review makes The Killing of Crazy Horse by Thomas Powers a must-read.


Photo by Joan Marcus

The NYT recently reviewed the Broadway production of The Merchant of Venice with mostly the same cast as the Summer Shakespeare in the park. New York Magazine's Review reminds us that Portia knows what she is getting into: "Since you are dear bought," she tells Bassanio, "I will love you dear"



Village of the Damned is in my DVD collection. You have to love George Sander's performance.



His voice was so smooth. Remember Shere Khan in The Jungle Book.

Sanders told David Niven in 1937, that he intended to commit suicide when he got older. In 1972, he fulfilled his promise, leaving this note: "Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

This is a man who was once married to Zsa Zsa Gabor and later to her sister Magda. The line in Wikipedia about the marriage to Magda is classic: "This marriage lasted only six weeks, after which he began drinking heavily."

No comments: