Saturday, January 15, 2011

January 15, 2011



My new wallpaper, a picture found on the net, in honor of 4d in today's NYT Crossword.



Found this too, a good thought.



Found this great recipe in Serious Eats. A real nice BBQ Sauce. I will , of course, make my own additions and subtractions. Also, since it does not use much Guinness, the rest can be had while watching Football.
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 1 15oz can tomato sauce
  • 8 oz stout beer
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste




Since this is BBQ, BEER and BOOKS,let's get to what is important. Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA is the weekend beer via a Growler. Guinness Stout Drought will also be consumed after the BBQ Sauce is made. I returned Voltaire to the Queens Library. It was an interesting read, did not know he was sleeping with his niece. The later years involving his fighting intolerance and injustice was quite interesting. Will have to read some more of his output, having only read Candide.



I tend to favor Biographies and this one was available from the Queens Library. I had read Ron Chernow's previous biography of Alexander Hamilton and enjoyed it. This one should be good, Washington is often not given the credit he deserves.



Also on the reading list, True Grit by Charles Portis. I will eventually see the Coen Brothers Movie, but everything I've read talks about how good the novel is to read.



Abita tasting at the local Beer Distributor, a flight convinced me to get the Party Pack. It came with a complimentary T-Shirt. This is a three-day weekend, after all.

No comments: