Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 10, 2011



Someone lent us a cottage in Harsfordshire. I was sitting in a sort of parlor there one day, writing. And suddenly I saw someone run past the window, along the lane outside. With shorts on, white shirt and so on. And it seemed to me such an unusual image... that I wrote down at the top of a sheet of paper, 'the loneliness of the long-distance runner.' I didn't know where he had come from, I didn't know where he was going. He was simply a sort of ...vision, floating by the window. And I put the line away, I thought I was going to write a poem with this sort of line in it. It seemed rather a nice line."
- Alan Sillitoe, author of The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner



Alan Sillitoe also wrote an Autobiography entitled Life Without Armour which is only available on the used book market. Will try to obtain one from Better World Books.



Also on the reading list is Alexandra Horowitz' Inside of a Dog.

No comments: