Sunday, July 19, 2009

July 19, 2009 - Woodstock Memories



Before I start, a plug for Bethel Woods.



Wow, it will be 40 years next month. My folks had a Summer
place near White Lake, so that is how I attended this wild party.
I didn't see many acts. I got there late because my brother
got married that weekend. The County was closed, but a friend
and I went the back way, Route 55. The County line had a
roadblock but we convinced the State Troopers we lived there
(which we did.)We had to tell them the name of who owned the
White Lake Liquor Store. We passed , as we knew Charlie Sabini.
We arrived late Saturday August 16.

The festival was completely disorganized. Lots of down time, lots
of rain but the price was right - FREE. When we arrived
on Sunday, they were just playing tapes -Joan Baez. I climbed
a tree in the back to get a panoramic view and met a guy from
my neighborhood on a branch. He said yo, and I nodded and that
was it. Nothing much more to say. You always bump into somebody in a tree.



Missed Santana, but this clip really captures the flavor.
In the beginning you see people bathing in Filippini Pond.
Man, that was stupid, that pond was full of Snakes. People
were also bathing in standing water near chicken coops.
Not very bright.



I was there for this one. It was cold, wet,and it
stunk to high heaven. The stage was on the bottom
of a Cow Field. I swore after "I'm Going Home" that
Alvin Lee would be a star.

I looked up the set lists ,here is what I was there for:

Ten Years After
Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
I Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes
I May Be Wrong, But I Won't Be Wrong Always
Hear Me Calling
I'm Going Home

The Band - Set list confirmed in Levon Helm's book "This Wheel's On Fire"
Chest Fever
Tears of Rage
We Can Talk
Don't You Tell Henry
Don't Do It
Ain't No More Cane
Long Black Veil
This Wheel's On Fire
I Shall Be Released
The Weight
Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever

(I eventually saw The Band in Concert three other
times. They were a great Live band.)

Blood, Sweat & Tears ushered in the midnight hour with five songs.
More and More
I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know
Spinning Wheel
I Stand Accused
Something Comin' On

Johnny Winter featuring his brother, Edgar Winter, on two songs.
Mama, Talk to Your Daughter
To Tell the Truth
Johnny B. Goode
Six Feet In the Ground
Leland Mississippi Blues/Rock Me Baby
Mean Mistreater
I Can't Stand It (with Edgar Winter)
Tobacco Road (with Edgar Winter)
Mean Town Blues

My friend swears we were there for Jefferson Airplane and
Jimi Hendrix. I don't remember that , but then I clearly remember
Johnny Winter but not Blood Sweat and Tears.

I have the Woodstock 69 CDs and I will be
playing them through August.

No comments: