Friday, July 2, 2010

July 2, 2010



For the weekend, a little Mudslide action.



I have Evan Connell's Son of the Morning Star in my personal collection. I will be interested if this is as good. George Armstrong Custer is a fascinating subject.



Heard a lot about this book and now will give it a try. Title comes from a Robert Johnson song. The way James Earl Ray avoided capture is mind-boggling.



The Song:
I got to keep moving, I got to keep moving
Blues falling down like hail, blues falling down like hail
Mmm, blues falling down like hail, blues falling down like hail
And the day keeps on remindin' me, there's a hellhound on my trail
Hellhound on my trail, hellhound on my trail



From the Web Site Serious Eats: Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce.

Sauce recipe adapted from Taming the Flame by Elizabeth Karmel
Ingredients

For the sauce:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 12-ounce can Dr. Pepper (about 1 3/4 cups)
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons ground ancho or New Mexican chile powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper

No comments: