Tuesday, February 5, 2013

February 5, 2013



In today's NYT Crossword: Two Years before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana, Jr. Just downloaded it from Project Gutenberg to my Nook and I-Pad. My Classics Illustrated Comic Book readings gave me an incredible exposure to many great works. I remember going to the Library to get the real thing after reading The Count of Monte Cristo Comic Book.



Another Download, saving 0ver 50% by going Digital: Jammed Up: Bad Cops, Police Misconduct, and the New York City Police Department by Robert J. Kane,Michael D. White.



GQ has an interesting interview of Harold Ramis. I had read of his feud with Bill Murray before, puzzling. Best line from the interview:

You've spent some time with the Dalai Lama. What's he like?

He's cool. He's jolly. The funny thing is that when I first met him, the Tibetans were all familiar with Groundhog Day, but they didn't understand the Dalai Lama speech in Caddyshack. They're like, "The Dalai Lama does not play golf." I said, "I know, I know. But if he did…"

The Speech:
Carl Spackler: So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.




No comments: