Friday, June 16, 2017

June 16, 2017



For my Minneapolis trip, my cousin lives near the Fitzgerald home in St. Paul.



Time to re-read The Great Gatsby. The echoes of the Midwest flow through the narrative:

"That's my middle-west--not the wheat or the prairies or the lost Swede towns but the thrilling, returning trains of my youth and the street lamps and sleigh bells in the frosty dark and the shadows of holly wreaths thrown by lighted windows on the snow. I am part of that, a little solemn with the feel of those long winters, a little complacent from growing up in the Carraway house in a city where dwellings are still called through decades by a family's name. I see now that this has been a story of the West, after all--Tom and Gatsby, Daisy and Jordan and I, were all Westerners, and perhaps we possessed some deficiency in common which made us subtly unadaptable to Eastern life."



"In two weeks it'll be the longest day in the year....Do you always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always watch for the longest day in the year and then miss it."
The Great Gatsby - Daisy
Chapter 1

On June 21st in NYC it will be 15 hours and 6 minutes of daylight.

No comments: