Sunday, November 13, 2011

November 13, 2011



City & State First Read is my new way to start each morning during M-F. They e-mail it to your smart phone.


Eddie Hausner/The New York Times

HENRY KISSINGER'S NYT Book Section review of the new Biography of George F. Kennan was excellent.



Lucky Bruce was a treat. What a life ! He mentioned hanging at Elaine's with Paul Desmond. Today on Sunday morning Dan Aykroyd mentioned how he met his wife, Donna Dixon, of thirty years on the set of Doctor Detroit , penned by Bruce Jay Friedman. A horrible movie and the Queenpin character "Mom" owes something to the bad Maltese Falcon adaptation Satan Met a Lady. The Queenpin there was Madame Barabbas.



At the time I really thought it was kind of a throw-away. I was ready to trade the entire rights, lifetime-wise of "Take Five" for a used Ronson electric razor. And the thing that makes "Take Five" work is the bridge, which we almost didn't use. We really came within ... I shudder to think how close we came to not using that, because I said "Well I got this theme that we could use for a middle part". And Dave said, "Well let's run it through." And that's what made "Take Five". - Paul Desmond



Desmond specified in his will that all proceeds from "Take Five" would go to the Red Cross following his death.



“I don’t cut like a chef, I cut like a butcher,” said Ray Venezia, the meat director for the four Fairway markets.

Every year I watch this video to refresh my carving skills. New Fairway opening in Douglaston this week.

No comments: